9.07.2006

Poem #2

What I am beginning to understand about poetry is that each poem is just a riddle. The more layers, imagery, confusion that can be found in a line, a word, the better the poem becomes. It forces the reader to read the piece again and again. I kinda really dig it. It is harder for me than essayesque type writing; but it is also oddly comforting to try and figure out what it is that I actually am trying to say. Anyway, my second piece, I know you were waiting with baited breath. The fury of excitement beats around you. Wait no more my friend, here it is

The Cornfield

I open the curtain.
A gold wall gaps.

I pass.
Journey to the heart.

Peers planted,
towering stalks surround.

Companions found in solitude,
a world I ruled.

Righteous ruler;
a child, a daughter.

A maze of maize
made these memories.

Impending doom,
the stalks will fall.

Two tons of steel;
my kingdom it takes away.

Taadaa, Happy September!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

amanda, that's pretty cool. i don't know what it means but i can tell you what scene i envision while reading it: i'm picturing someone falling asleep at the wheel on a long roadtrip back home and careening off the highway into a cornfield and the imagery that flashes through that person's head as their SUV comes to rest in the middle of the field and they lose consciousness. is that it or should i be committed. wait don't answer that ;-)

btw, bring some friends and come to our show at Fumbles tomorrow night-> www.coldturkeyband.com

sean

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home