7.21.2006

Evil Twins

Everyone has a doppelganger; or so "they" say. I am in accordance with those who believe. But I am a rarity, for I have seen my doppelganger. If you are unfamiliar with this term, a doppelganger is someone who is your identical look alike. It is important to note that the word origin can be traced to Germany; where there is an addition to the definition. In its native language a doppelganger represents that of an evil twin; seeing your own could even be interpreted as an omen of death.

I found mine; but she hasn't found me. The irony is that we live 50 miles from each other; but in completely different worlds. My doppelganger leads me to believe that there is truth rooted in the idea of an evil representation of self. She currently resides in our federal prison. I am not aware of her actions that she participated in to land in that sort of hell; I just know that she is there. I saw here picture; 3 years ago. She was part of a female chain gang that was assigned to work at a local cemetery. Prisoners were to bury bodies of those who did not have enough money for a proper funeral. The picture shows my double, crying, wearing the cartoonish black and white uniform that is typical of a prisoner. Though I don't know what she looks like when she is not crying, she is a dead ringer for me when she is. That was not an intentional pun.

I like that my doppelganger is contained. Well, I guess I like to believe that she is. It has been three years since I saw her picture, my picture. Her sentence could be over. She could have escaped. Now that is a worrisome situation. I do not know why I felt compelled to write about doppelgangers, I guess I felt as if I should get the word out. If you see someone who looks like you, don't chase after them, they could be your doppelganger. They could be your evil twin; or worse, you could be theirs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home