12.14.2006

Absurdity

My sister and brother-in-law's house is broken. Well, I shouldn't say that the whole house is broken. The water pipe broke at the foundation. Seeing as I have been the only one staying there for the past three nights I am sure that it was my fault. I break things; that's what I do. Apparently even houses are not immune to the wrath that is Amanda. In any case, having this happen right now is pretty much a testimonial to the old saying, "when it rains it pours". We all need a little comic relief. Though I probably shouldn't find it in the memory of carrying pots of water from a cooler upstairs last night to dump into the back of the toilet in order to flush it, but I do. I also acknowledge the absurdity in all of it. When I came home on Wednesday night I noticed there was a pleasant stream of water pouring down the driveway. I distinctly remember thinking, hmm, interesting that it rained so much here and not at all in DC. Keep in mind that it had to have rained a little bit because the ground all around was wet. I am not completely oblivious to the world around me. Though, it still didn't hit me later when I tried to flush the toilet and the tank was bone dry. Nope I didn't tie the two together at all. Lola, their black pug, barked all night. I was spooked about stalkers/thieves/murderers. I am sure she was barking at the rumbling of the waterfall that the front porch had turned into. I drifted off to sleep, eventually. I woke up to a severe decrease in water pressure. Did I call my sister? oh no. I washed my face and fed the dogs. But then she called me and in passing I told her that I couldn't flush the toilet. She said to just fill up the tank. Then I hear my brother-in-law, Jay, in the background start asking her questions. She asks me to go out front. I know what she is going to ask me before she does. I tell her yes, Niagara Falls has briefly relocated to Pasadena, Maryland and taken up residence directly outside her front door. She wasn't pleased. I think it may have had to something with the fact that Emerson Kate is still in the hospital and that the water situation may just be what breaks the camel's back; or in this case my sister's. When I got to the hospital I went into to see Emerson, Kate appeared a moment later.

My sister has been a rock during this entire time. She has been so strong. I have only caught one or two tears. When I went to hug her; she started crying. "Stupid, stupid water" she said in her laughing,crying sing-songy voice. The nurse wasn't aware what we had been talking about and said something to us. She repeated what she said because by the obvious look of question on our faces she realized we had not heard her. "Is it because of the incision? Are you crying because of the incision?" The nurses had removed Emerson's dressing and her incision was much more noticeable. Kate and I look at each other and kinda laugh. Of course the tears are not over her little girls scar; that she can handle. It is just the house that is breaking her strong self down. Absurd, yes... A realignment of priorities; of course. Acknowledgement of the ridiculousness of timing, triple check. All I want to do is just ask, really? right now? seriously? The porch is going to be fixed; not as gently as Emerson's heart was, but everything soon will start to go back to normal; Two healthy daughters, running water, a porch that isn't waterlogged. Isn't life grand?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home