3.16.2007

Straight Up

Today is a Paula Abdul day. Not the American Idol Paula; but the Forever Your Girl Paula. The Paula that I had routines perfectly choreographed on my Minnie Mouse roller skates. The fact that I am listening to this album makes me feel, simultaneously, young and old. These songs can resurrect the exact feelings of my nine year-old-hip-self; i was the empress of cool. Her words channel straight to the euphoric part of my brain where my biggest concern was how to finagle my parents into letting me play outside later. One of my stock associates just came into my office while "Straight Up" was playing. He looked at me, then my speakers, chuckled, and then said, not asked, "What is this". Shell shocked, I responded that it was Paula Abdul. I said you don't know Paula Abdul? He said of course he knew who she was... I think his words were, "I watch American Idol, yeah I think I know who she is." I could have slipped in the puddle where his dripping sarcasm had collected.

Paula, for me, ranks right up there with Tiffany and The Bangles. I swear that those women shaped my life. Okay, maybe that is taking it a step too far, but they surely built a great city of memories in my mind. Side note from my head, celebrating the little things. Find something little to celebrate on this Eve of St. Patrick's Day!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha, we are old when teenagers know Paula Abdul because and only because they "watch American Idol"!!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home